- Milieu Children & Family Services exists for the benefit of the youth it supports. Our mission is to empower and support people as valued, contributing citizens in communities.
- Milieu is well known for services that are innovative and committed to person-centred practice. By working closely with other services agencies, businesses and the public we increase community inclusion and citizenship opportunities for youth.
– Every person is a unique individual, with strengths, abilities and value.
– Making choices is a right, with support as necessary from friends, family and trusted advisors.
– Each person is entitled to live with dignity and equality in a safe and secure environment.
– Community is where we are known as individuals and as citizens.
– Each community is strengthened by the inclusion of people from all walks of life.
– We support social change that contributes to stronger, healthier communities for everyone.
– We are honest and dependable in our interactions with others.
– We support staff through training and engagement to advance our mission.
– Best practices guide our efforts to provide flexible and responsive supports and services.
– Personal outcomes of the people we serve guide decision making.
– We use feedback to learn, grow and improve performance.
– Our financial resources are used in innovative, cost-effective ways.
please follow the link provided to our formal Code of Ethics
On a daily basis, our vision, values and ethics guide our staff in their practice and recognition of each individual’s need for:
- Participation in the decisions that affect them
- Involvement of family and friends
- Happiness and self-respect
- A meaningful life with predictability
- Opportunities for growth and independence
Yes, You Can!
Person Centred Planning – It’s all about you!
- An Individual Support Plan (ISP) is developed with you and those you want involved, for example, family, friends, support staff, or anyone else you would like to invite. You decide what goals you want to work on and what services you want to receive. Milieu uses a planning tool called the Support Intensity Scale to understand what type of support we need to provide you with so that you can reach your goals. And don’t worry, when your needs and wants change, your plan can be updated.
- Your support plan helps Milieu staff understand how to help you accomplish your goals. We do this by developing support strategies and choosing targets that will clearly show you how effective the strategies are in supporting you to achieve your goals. When you think about person-centred planning, remember that you, and the people you trust and are the closest to you, are the primary authorities on the direction your life takes.
- Person-centred planning helps Milieu staff to frame their supports in a manner that is meaningful and effective for you. Our goal is to create opportunities that stimulate community engagement and encourage youth to define and work towards the future they want and deserve.
Milieu is committed to being the best possible neighbour that we can be.
We work with our neighbours to pursue common goals and to resolve differences in the best interests of the youth we support and that of the community. It is our goal that the youth we support become contributing members of their communities and the staff member support them to be seen positively in their neighbourhoods.
History & Interesting Facts
- Milieu was founded in 1989 and provides services to youth and adults
- Our Children & Youth Services include staffed residential (both group home living and single bed homes), transition to adulthood supports, an alternative high school in partnership with the Vancouver School Board for grades 8 to 10, family counselling and mediation, housing workshops, parenting workshops, youth groups, FASD and Foster Parent Supports, a youth advisory committee (YAC), and a youth resource room for youth and young adults up to age 26. We have services in the Lower Mainland, in the Comox Valley (Vancouver Island), and Prince George.
- Our adult services include staffed residential services, shared living, independent living supports, in-home outreach support, self-advocacy, and day services including community inclusion, customized employment, self-employment, and 1:1 community outreach.