- Milieu Family Services exists for the benefit of the people it supports. Our mission is to empower and support people as valued, contributing citizens in communities.
- Milieu is well known for services that are innovative and committed to person-centered practice. By working closely with other services agencies, business and the public we increase community inclusion and citizenship opportunities.
– Every person is a unique individual, with strengths, abilities and value.
– Making choices is a right, with support as necessary from friends, family and trusted advisors.
– Each person is entitled to live with dignity and equality in a safe and secure environment.
– Community is where we are known as individuals and as citizens.
– Each community is strengthened by the inclusion of people from all walks of life.
– We support social change that contributes to stronger, healthier communities for everyone.
– We are honest and dependable in our interactions with others.
– We support staff through training and engagement to advance our mission.
– Best practices guide our efforts to provide flexible and responsive supports and services.
– Personal outcomes of the people we serve guide decision making.
– We use feedback to learn, grow and improve performance.
– Our financial resources are used in innovative, cost-effective ways.
please follow the link provided to our formal Code of Ethics
On a daily basis, our vision, values and ethics guide our staff in their practice and recognition of each individual’s need for:
- Participation in the decisions that affect them
- Involvement of family and friends
- Happiness and self-respect
- A meaningful life with predictability
- Opportunities for growth and independence
Yes, You Can!
Person Centered Planning – It’s all about you!
- An individual support plan is developed with you and those you want involved, for example, family, friends, support staff, or anyone else you would like to invite. You decide what goals you want to work on and what services you want to receive. And when your needs and wants change, your plan can be updated.
- The support plan also helps Milieu staff decide how to help you accomplish your personal goals. We do this by developing the right support strategies and choosing outcomes that will show how effective these strategies are in supporting you to achieve your goals. When you think about person-centered planning, remember that you, and the people you have a deep personal relationship with, are the primary authorities on the direction your life takes.
- Person-centered planning helps Milieu staff to change how life unfolds for people with a disability by challenging low expectations and stereotypes that they, or the broader community, may have. Our goal is to create opportunities that stimulate community hospitality and encourage citizens from all walks of life to assist the person to define and work toward the future they want.
Every three months Milieu holds an open house for individuals, family and friends to come and hear directly from our executive director, staff members, community and self-advocates about the work we are doing, future plans and about our involvement with CLBC. Families are encouraged to ask questions and provide feedback. We hope that these meetings will serve to establish connections and create experiences that enrich family experiences.
All family members are welcome!
Milieu is committed to being the best possible neighbour that we can be.
We work with our neighbours to pursue common goals and to resolve differences in the best interests of the youth we support and that of the community. It is our goal that the youth we support become contributing members of their communities and the staff member support them to be seen positively in their neighbourhoods.
History & Interesting Facts
- Milieu was founded in 1989 and provides services to youth and adults
- Our adult residential services include shared living and independent living supports, 24/7 staffed residential homes and in-home outreach support
- Our adult day services include community inclusion, customized employment and self-employment and outreach.